What is Home Staging?
A well-decorated home is a priority for many homeowners, but there’s a big difference between a beautifully decorated living room and one that is well-staged. For the purposes of selling a home for the highest and best offer available, excellent home staging is a necessity! What does it mean to stage a home? Simply put, home staging is a marketing technique. Staging a home is when the rooms of a house are “staged” to help potential buyers envision themselves in the various spaces throughout the home. Staging a home incorporates specific design and selling techniques aimed at removing the personal touches you may have loved so much and creating a blank canvas for potential buyers to reimagine as they move from room to room.
Benefits of Staging a Home for Sale
Is home staging really necessary? Is home staging worth it – the time, effort and money? The answer is a resounding yes! You can feel confident putting money toward home staging based on several research findings made by the National Association of Realtors (NAR). According to the 2021 Profile of Home Staging, 82 percent of buyers’ agents reported that staging a home made it easier for a buyer to visualize the property as their own future home. It was also reported that staging a home increased the dollar value offered on a property between 1 – 5 percent, compared to homes that were not staged. When we’re considering such large transactions, a 1 – 5 percent increase can be a lot of money!
Quick Home Staging Tips
There are a vast amount of smart and strategic ways to “set the stage” for buyers. If you’re considering staging the home yourself, here are a few quick tips for staging your home to get you started.
- Depersonalize the space: Take down family photos, set the kid’s drawings you hung on your fridge aside, remove personal or quirky accessories, etc.
- Focus on the most important rooms first: The National Association of Realtors Research Department reports the best rooms, to begin with, are the living room, the master bedroom and the kitchen. Worry about these three first, then move onto the rest.
- Clean the house from top to bottom: This one may seem obvious, but still needs to be said. Clean every inch of the house and declutter any countertops, mantels and shelves. A new buyer wants to see the home is taken care of and clean! Who wants to buy a house they have to deep clean before moving into?
- Make sure the dog’s items are stored away: We love our family dogs as much as the next person, but not every buyer will feel similarly. Make sure the family pet’s items are stored away neatly and there are no odors left behind.
- Make sure it smells nice! A deep clean should help with this, especially if you have carpet. However, consider burning a candle or baking some cookies before buyers view the home.
Home Staging Companies
Home staging companies are available for hire depending on where you live. These companies exist to help transform a home into a space a potential buyer can envision themself and their family moving into. Most home stagers will rearrange, redecorate, clear out spaces, clean and implement other strategic staging techniques to make the home more appealing to new buyers. The KIM TILLETT Team is fortunate to have an excellent team of professionals who enable us to provide our clients with the highest quality service – this includes a home staging expert! Christina is the founder of Coastal Creative Interiors, LLC and works closely with The KIM TILLETT Team as their in-house home staging and design expert.
Homes in Brevard County
If you’re listing your home, you can trust The KIM TILLETT Team to bring their years of experience and expertise to the transaction table, so you walk away from your investment with confidence. Call today to find out how we can help you list your existing home or find one you’re proud to call home in Brevard County.